Publication, Broadcasting and Exhibition of Library Materials

Procedures are required when using library materials for the following purposes:

Publication / Publication on the web / Broadcasting / Video production / Exhibition / Panel exhibition / Recording in databases / Reprint publication

Please refer to this page for information on the use of image data available at Agri. Library, UTokyo Digital Archive and NIJL Database of Pre-Modern Japanese Works.

Prior to application

  • Please check if there are any copyrights or portrait rights for the materials you want to use, and obtain permission from the rights holder or otherwise handle the rights as necessary.
  • We will not respond to inquiries regarding contact information for rights processing. Please contact the publisher.
  • Please submit a document confirming the completion of rights processing.


Please submit the required documents via e-mail or postal mail to Information Service Section, University Library for Agricultural and Life Sciences according to the “Application procedure” that follows below.
*Please upload attachments separately to the folder for submission.

E-mail: service★ (Please replace ★ with @.)
Address: 1-1-1, Yayoi, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8657 JAPAN

Application procedure

1. Submit documents
  Publication Broadcasting, Video production, Panel exhibition, Recording in databases, Publication on the web Exhibition Reprint Publication
Application form for special permission of use* (Word, PDF) Required
Photocopy of relevant illustration / page Only if already obtained
Proposal Required**
Prospectus* (Word, PDF) Required
Dossier on the status of materials Submit when borrowing materials**
Materials loan letter* (Word, PDF) Submit when borrowing materials
Authorization documents related to rights processing

Only when copyrights or portrait rights need to be handled.**

Only materials for which the copyright protection period has expired will be accepted.

*Documents are in Japanese only.
**There are no standard formats.

Notes on document preparetion

  • The applicant should be as follows.
    • Publication : A representative of the organization holding the publishing rights or copyright
    • Exhibition / Panel exhibition : A representative of the organization where the materials are to be exhibited
      *If the exhibiting organization and the organization holding the publishing rights of the publication are different, each organization should submit an application.
    • For self-publishing, applications from individuals may be accepted.
  • If you wish to verify your entry by the library, please submit it as a Word file first.
  • If the use involves more than one type of use, such as an exhibition and a publication, please apply for a permit for all types of use. (Please submit all applications in one copy.)
  • Even in the case of an application for photographing by applicant, depending on the condition of the materials, photographing of materials might be ordered to the library’s designated contractor. In that case, the applicant is required to pay the fee.
2. Issue permit
  • If it is available, a permit will be issued. In principle, the permit will be issued without an official seal and sent to the applicant by e-mail. If you wish to have a permit mailed to you, please let us know in advance.
  • It takes about 1 week from the receipt of the application documents to the issuance of the permit.
3. Use the materials
  • You may not use the materials for any purpose other than that for which it was permitted.
  • If a contractor is ordered to photograph materials, the applicant is required to donate the film or digital images to the library. The applicant is responsible for any charges incurred for copying from the film.
  • Please indicate in publications, videos, etc. that the materials used are from the collection of “University Library for Agricultural and Life Sciences, the University of Tokyo.”
  • Please send one copy (one set) of the publication, recording, DVD, etc. to the library with the permission number indicated on the permit.
  • In the event of damage of materials during photographing, the applicant will be required to compensate for the damage.
  • (Reprint publication) It is necessary to sign a publication contract with the University Administration Bureau. (Contact: Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences / Faculty of Agriculture)
  • (Exhibition) If the library deems it necessary, materials may be returned prior to the expiration of the loan period.